Adventures in Seed Starting

Adventures in Seed Starting

This is my first season experimenting with seed starting.   I had a bunch of seed trays and containers leftover from previous plant purchases (hoarding for the win!) that I cleaned and disinfected by spraying with hydrogen peroxide.  I purchased a seed starting mix at a nearby nursery as well as a shop light and light timer from Home Depot.  I had PVC pipe from a previous project on hand that I used to create a stand to hang the shop light.  I tried to use what I had on hand as much as possible, so as you can see below it's a bit of a bootleg setup, but it worked for the most part.  

I started back in February with lettuce, kale, swiss chard, spinach, and leek seeds.  I'm not calling it a total fail, but definitely not a total success.  All of the seeds germinated except for the spinach and leek seeds.  A few lessons learned: I think I overwatered a bit.  The seedlings got a little "leggy"...I don't know if that makes sense, but the stems were really long and "stringy".  I thought I took a picture, but I guess I was too ashamed...  I watered from the bottom by putting about a half inch of water in the tray holding the containers.  That is the part I wouldn't change, but next time I will only water when the soil is dry on the top, which lately is less than once a week.  Also, I should have been better about thinning the lettuce early on, I put several seeds in each compartment, but didn't stay on top of thinning and they got tangled.  I think they would have done better with more "room to breathe" so to speak.

Read More